How Reiki helps in Pregnancy
By Clare Ford, Beautiful Souls
Reiki treatment is also helpful for post-partum recovery. Women’s bodies undergo tremendous change to support the new life growing inside them; it takes a while for the body’s organs and processes to return to a normal non-pregnancy state. Healing is still occurring inside a mother’s body after her baby is born, even after an easy or uncomplicated birth.
Reiki treatment can help new mothers maintain well-being and emotional balance during those first weeks of adjustment. This is especially important for the percentage of women who may experience post-partum depression. Reiki is also recommended post-natal to relieve any emotional blockages and help you deal with baby blues and negative thoughts.
For those women who had a difficult labour, or a caesarean birth, Reiki treatment can help facilitate healing on physical and emotional levels. Clinical studies of Reiki treatment are demonstrating benefits for reducing anxiety and pain levels. Women recovering from surgery or birth trauma can benefit from this additional source of compassionate, palliative support.
The medications used to relieve post-surgical pain often have unpleasant side effects, and the discomfort from the incision can make it difficult for women to hold or breastfeed their babies. Reiki treatment supports the physical healing process, enabling women to get back on their feet sooner. Reiki can also be very effective after the birth in helping to restore balance to the entire mind-body-spirit system, as well as providing some much-needed serenity during this exciting and transformational time.
Many mothers say that they find it easier to cope with their new baby after receiving Reiki and that their babies are more settled, sleep better and are easier to look after. Babies can also respond well to Reiki treatments. Reiki can help babies sleep better and assist with reflux, colic and teething.
Regular treatments are recommended and are very beneficial not only for the woman’s body but also for the development of the baby. The deep relaxation and peacefulness many people experience during and after a Reiki treatment can only be of benefit to pregnant women.
Feedback from most pregnant clients is that they feel less anxious, less tired, less stressed and better able to cope with life.
Summary of benefits of Reiki during and after pregnancy and labour:
- Reiki provides emotional as well as physical support to the pregnant woman.
- Reiki creates a balanced, loving and harmonious relationship between the mother and baby.
- Reiki practiced in the early days of the pregnancy helps reduce exhaustion and nausea in the pregnant woman.
- It can bring relief to every part of a stretched and aching body of the woman.
- It also reduces anxiety, sleep problems, colic, and enhances motor activity and active sleep.
- Reiki is done to restore the balance and health to the pregnant mother.
- Reiki also helps to release the fears related to pregnancy and delivery. It soothes a woman who can feel invaded and impatient to give birth.
- Reiki has the power to make a baby wriggle with pleasure in the womb, and also has a calming effect on both the mother and the child.
- It also helps in building a strong and spiritual relationship between the mother and the baby, before this tiny new being of light enters the world.
- Reiki used during labour stage has been shown to help control and lessen pain.
- Reiki may make delivery easier.
- Mothers who have had previous c-sections and receive Reiki in later pregnancies can expect lesser need for caesarean surgeries the second time.
- Mothers who use Reiki during and after pregnancy can better adjust to their babies and vice versa.
- After the baby is born, it can be a stressful time for the baby. When Reiki is used in the delivery room it makes an easier transition for the baby.
Reiki treatment honours the women we are: our bodies, our emotions and the spirit within that give us strength and purpose. Please contact me if you are expecting a baby and would like to find out about overcoming fears and anxieties and how Reiki treatment can help support you in a healthy, happy and centred pregnancy.